2010年7月28日星期三

"They Won't Go When I Go" (George Michael) ----- a beautifully haunting gloomy song!!!

The Cover of the Album "LISTEN WITHOUT PREJUDICE Volume One"

Song Title : They Won't Go When I Go
From the Album : LISTEN WITHOUT PREJUDICE Volume One
Year of Release : 1990
Written by : Music: Stevie Wonder / Lyrics: Yvonne Wright

1. 剛把家居電話的留言機背景音樂由Radiohead的"No Surprises"轉為此歌!

2. 其實最近才認真細味此歌,那種陰沈的感覺把我深深吸引著,那鋼琴的intro,George Michael低沈而哀傷的聲線,對sinners的控訴直插心靈,很喜歡那句"Unclean minds mislead the pure"!

3. 在youtube找MV其間,才知這是Stevie Wonder的作品,出現在他70s黃金時期出的大碟"Fulfillingness' First Finale"(1974)中,他唱的原裝版同樣有震撼力,不過可能由於先入為主加上不是聽CD,還是喜歡George Michael唱的版本多一點,原來CD中的也是個現場版.是在1988年於"Nelson Mandela Birthday Tribute"時演唱的,不過經過後期加工,聽上來似是studio錄音!

4. 講開George Michael此碟,是他的2nd Solo Album,不過自從他的1st Album"Faith"在美國極度成功後,他陷入了identity crisis,他希望把自己表現為一個serious-minded的歌手及song-writer,因此一改形象,不但唱片封面看不到他的樣子,所有的宣傳MV等也不露面,其實碟名已能看出他的意願,結果當然地銷量大倒退,算是他自毀長城之作,當時的碟評也是毀譽參半!不過,其實這是一張質素極上乘之作,我相信絕對會經得起時間的考驗!

5. 有趣的是,在youtube別人的討論中,很多人也談論究竟誰人會於Stevie Wonder的葬禮中唱此歌,原來大家也屬意Michael Jackson唱此歌的,不過可以有資格唱的也比Stevie Wonder早死!相反地,他在Michael Jackson的葬禮中唱了兩首自己的作品,除了"Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer",竟然就是"They Won't Go When I Go"! 這個結果相信Stevie Wonder自己也難以預料!

6. 我也想不到為此歌寫blog的念頭最終把我帶到Michael Jackson的葬禮,這個flow正與我的心情不謀而合!我邊看邊流淚,不是為MJ,是為了我自己!

7. "They Won't Go When I Go" Lyrics:

No more lying friends
Wanting tragic ends
Though they do pretend
They won't go when I go

All those bleeding hearts
With sorrows to impart
Were right here from the start
And they won't go when I go

And I'll go where I've longed
To go so long
Away from tears

Gone from painful cries
Away from saddened eyes
Along with him I'll bide
Because they won't go when I go

Big men feeling small
Weak ones standing tall
I will watch them fall
They won't go when I go

And I'll go where I've long ...
To go so long
Away from tears

Unclean minds mislead the pure
The innocent will leave for sure
For them there is a resting place
People sinning just for fun
They will never see the sun
For they can never show their faces
There ain't no room for
the hopeless sinner
Who will take more
than he will give
He ain't hardly gonna give

The greed of man will be
Far away from me
And my soul will be free
They won't go when I go

Since my soul conceived
All that I believe
The kingdom I will see
'Cause they won't go when I go
When I go
Where I'll go
No one can keep me
From my destiny

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UmoCbWIZBY (George Michael's Version) 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whjD_1E0Lls (Stevie Wonder's Original Version w/ lyrics)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leF3s1r0R5A&feature=fvw
    (Stevie Wonder singing "Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer"&"They Won't Go When I Go"! at Michael Jackson Memorial)

沒有留言:

發佈留言